How to create the correct URL (Uniform Resource Locator) ?
How to create the correct URL (Uniform Resource Locator)
Create the correct URL (Uniform Resource Locator) will start a series of publications about the basics of SEO, which should be known by every blogger. For search engines, there are many different factors that they take into account. But to correct the meta tags, the keywords – we will always have time, in contrast to the address of the page. It is better not to change it later because other resources can already be referred to it. So let’s tell you what the correct URL and 6 recommendations for creating it should be.
To avoid scaring, I will not dip into the often-changing algorithms of search engines. I will not write about black and white optimization methods. Other rather technical things, too, will be ignored this time. Instead, consider the practical and useful tips that every blogger should know. But at the same time, it is not necessary to be an expert in the field of SEO-optimization of the site.
In simple words, this is the address of any blog page that we can see in the address bar of the browser.
In the beginning, I want to indicate what we have to do, what will be the results. Of course, only the correct address for publishing a blog will not bring many transitions from the search engines. This is just one of the steps we must accomplish. And everything will work in the complex.
- The first impression of content on a page is a person with its name. We do not take into account that the title may be one and the content is different. In this blog, I will focus exclusively on good blogging practices. Therefore, at a quick glance at the URL of the page, you can already make a decision – open it, or view the results of the search execution.
- The presence of keywords in the title positively affects the position of the publication in the search engine. This is one of the most important places where you need to use the right words.
- The CTR (Conversion Rate to Total Impressions) shows significantly higher results. Since the keyword in the URL can be read, it will become an important signal for users that they will find the information they need on the page.
Recommendations for writing correct URLs
Consider the 6 main things you should know and take into account when working on a blog post. In particular, in the part where we select the name of the web page.
Human readable URL
The first setting we will make after installing Word Press (WP) and choosing a theme, we will indicate the correct name of the publications. The URL must be clear not only to the programmers but also to the ordinary person.
Why it is worth using a laser
- It’s clear what the page says, looking only at its address.
- You can use a keyword that can be read in the URL when it matches a user’s search query.
- The clickthroughs of such addresses are higher because people know their expectations from the page.
How to configure URL display on Word Press
We go to the admin panel of the blog and press:
Settings -> Permanent Links -> General Settings -> Custom Structure
Then in the available labels we choose:
% post name%
Click the “Save Changes” button below.
In the name of the page’s address you can use:
Translated into English language words
All three options are quite easy to meet on the Internet.
Why choose transliteration in URL
- The Cyrillic name will still be converted into a special code that looks very long and generally unclear.
- Although almost all know English, you can always use unfamiliar words. And this will not encourage users to go through the link. There will also be an association that content on the site is foreign.
- Therefore, transliteration is still the best alternative.
- Written in this way, you can create a page URL manually if you know the simple rules.
But the most practical way is to use a special WP plug-in. Once installed and activated, all URLs will automatically be generated by transliterating the name of the post.
The presence of a keyword
If you have a serious blogging approach, then you are sure that you have the appropriate keywords for each individual publication (at least it should be). The most important of these should be used when writing the URL. During a search, a person will see it in the title of the page, a piece of text and in the URL. This will, of course, become a signal for her to match the material found. Of course, you do not have to overdo the number of keywords, both in the publication itself and in the headings, sub-headings, URLs. The search engine will accept this page as a spam.
The length of the page URL
Read various numeric data and recommendations about the number of characters and words in the URL. In some places, they are identical, in others they are different.
Long titles do not show up completely when you search. In this case, users are not able to fully read the name and this reduces the CTR page (its clickability).
Despite the fact that search engines work well in uppercase letters, it can be difficult for users.
Dash, underscore and merge several words into one
All this refers to the writing of a URL that consists of several words. The underlining will also be properly processed by the search engine.
October 24, 2018
October 22, 2018
January 19, 2022